Friday, March 11, 2011

The Perfect Preacher

Gash, sounds like some sort of poem!  No.  Today I'm gonna talk about Pastors.

I go to a lovely church, that renovated/expanded in 2007.  I've been going there for almost 10 years, and lived across the street for about 6.  It's a lovely church.  Has it's own issues and whatnot, but I'm not complaining.
When I went for the first time, it felt right.  Granted I was only 4, but it just seemed good.  Everyone was so nice, and the Pastor was hilarious, but still reverent.  So we started going there.  Time passed, we joined, the usual stuff.
But recently, I really feel like God gave me the Perfect Preacher, I just didn't know until I listened.  No one is perfect, but people can be perfect for people.  The right fit.  Well this guy is a good fit.
Although I've been there for 10 years, it's really only been about 5 months of listening for sermons to click and all that.  (You've got to listen to hear.)
In the past 5 months, almost every single sermon clicks.  It's just, what I need to hear that week.  And since I learned that The Bible is actually really cool (stupid teenage minds), the verses work and it's a whole thing.  I've bookmarked so many verses in the past half-year it's a little bit crazy. And I love it.
I feel like, if you don't have the Perfect Preacher, and you're just not hearing anything even though you're really listening and trying, you should try another church.  What can it hurt?  I don't think looking for the right church is against the law.  Because no matter how much you like the elegance or the friend that goes to your current church, you need to find the right church, or rather the right Preacher for you.  It's why we go to church!  To Praise Him and to feed.  Feed our spiritual life.  Why go to a church that's not feeding you?

And that's when I realized I haven't even gotten to the point I wanted to make about my Pastor.
He preaches simply, while maintaining the importance and point of what he's preaching.  He's great for bringing a friend, or for anyone who doesn't know how to pronounce half the names in the Book of Acts.
Our entire Youth Group of about 65 kids Sat In on Ash Wednesday (more on that later) instead of doing normal youth stuff, and I was watching everyone, and they were listening.  Almost everyone I looked at was really...Tuned in.
I'm talking about teenagers with attention spans like a 5 year old boy, and they're intently listening.
Because he didn't stuff his sermon with things only a Bible Scholar knows the definition of.
He used real, understandable, graspable stuff.  And these kids are listening to hear stuff, they just don't always know what to listen for.

So anyhow, my Pastor captured the attention of an entire section of Sanctuary, probably the hardest group of people to capture.  He's got the stuff if he can do that.

So there's my very ADD post about Pastors.  Love your Pastor?  Don't even like your Pastor? Tell me!

And Pray for Japan.  Really.

2 comments:

  1. Loved your post and love your blog. Don't ever lose your passion!

    -ashley
    www.adventuresofnewlyweds.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! So amazing. It's always wonderful when you really understand every word your pastor says and it really resonates with you. We are in the process of finding a new church home. This was such an awesome post for me to read. Definitely encouraging while we are looking and praying about where God wants us to go.

    ReplyDelete